Friday, June 13, 2008

An Eye For An Eye




These are the mugshots of abusive parents. Here's the story:

A 13 year-old boy who was tied to a tree two nights this week by his father and stepmother has died.


The boy's father told deputies he had tied the teen to a tree outside the home Tuesday night because he was being disobedient and other disciplinary actions had failed.

The father said he untied the boy Wednesday morning and allowed him back into the house, but he was tied to the tree a second time that night when he started acting up again. The boy remained tied up until his stepmother found him unconscious at about 4:30 p.m. Thursday, authorities said. (Source: WRAL.com)

You read that right. Parents tied their kid to a tree. Overnight. Twice.

At first, I thought that the parents should be shot, drawn and quartered and then shot again. But the more I thought about it, the more disgusted and appalled I became at how any parent could do that to their child, the more I came up with a better solution.

An eye for an eye.

I propose a new law. It's called the "Eye for an Eye" law, and, while I don't believe it is appropriate in all cases, I do believe it applies to cases of child abuse.

Let's tie the parents to a tree. In the summer. During 95 degree days that don't cool off much at night. And just because of the heinous nature of their actions, let's cover them in honey and release fire ants onto them. That should even things out, don't you think?

Jail is too easy for these, dare I say, "people." Give 'em what they've given out. Maybe it would prevent other parents from abusing their children. Unlikely, I know.

But I can hope.

1 comment:

David Terrenoire said...

When I was in Central America, I volunteered to work at an orphanage for a while. It had been run by the Catholic Church before the Peace Corps took it over.

The boys told us that a common punishment by the priests was to tie a boy to the central courtyard's flag pole overnight.

I thought it was barbaric then, and this doesn't do anything to change my mind.